Monday, April 19, 2010

Mixed Media Photos

"California" by Bryce, age 6, California, USA.

He says he was "inspired by the crane being used to build the new Bay Bridge in San Francisco." He used yarn for part of the crane.

This is so awesome! I'm loving the yarn and how it is tied onto the Lego beam, which I also think is a great little creation. It looks like the gears at the top rotate and lift up the load on the yarn. This is wonderful mixed media and a creation that is truly functional. How very cool that R2D2 is part of the construction crew! Too cool Bryce!


"Petshop Park" by Sophie, age 5, Saskatchewan, Canada.

This is a super neat little scene. It reminds me of the park close to our house that we visit regularly. The play structure has wonderful stairs and a slide, but I especially love the climbing wall! Nice to see a lemonade stand, wouldn't it be nice if our park had one of those! Very cool that you built a play area for your pets. Way to go Sophie.


"A Rock Collector" by Spencer, age 5, Arizona, USA.

"This is a spaceship that collects rocks and stores them inside."

What a cool vehicle. I wonder if this spaceship collects rocks in the atmosphere, or on planet surfaces? I can see the hollowed out area where the rocks are stored. Great use of ordinary objects like rocks along with Lego to create an awesome machine. Nice work Spencer!


"Fighter Ship on Attack Mission to the Death Star", by Ethan, age 8, Saskatchewan, Canada.

"This submission for mixed media is an installation that uses Lego and Transformers."

I absolutely love the way this photo was taken. It looks like a scene from a movie. I am especially liking the string used to hold up the Fighter Ship. This creation nicely connects to separate objects to one common theme. Great mixed media Ethan!


by Keira, age 3, Saskatchewan, Canada.

"A little house for unicorn and a wolf."

This is a wonderful little house for these two lovely creatures. The wolf on top of the house seems to be on a lookout. Perfect use of creatures along with your Lego to create a great little mixed media scene. Way to go Keira!


by Finnegan, age 6, Saskatchewan, Canada.

"This is a scene from South America. There is a temple, a mountain, a South American Dragon, and other stuff."

I love all that is going on here Finnegan. Such a cool scene full of creatures and characters. The two stacked pillows are a nice juxtaposition to the hard edged Lego. Is that a dragon on the top pillow? Great world you've created, makes me want to know more about the story I see here. Just wonderful Finnegan.


by Isaac, age 5, Saskatchewan, Canada.

"Isaac's FOODLAND Adventure Park, complete with racetrack (top right), city hall (bottom left), white hill (top left), crane (bottom center). Mixed media: includes lego, creations from homeschool clay class, food, hot wheels cars, and crane."

Isaac, your wonderful little imaginary places always amaze me. I just love that you used tomatoes, carrots, oranges, onions and apples, not to mention, pottery and hot wheels. There is so much going on here. I have to say, the food really stands out to me as a super cool element!


by Cassidy, age 4, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA.

I was told that ZomeTools were used as the mixed media portion of this creation. How cool. I love the vertical height of this structure and how perfectly the rods seem to fit into the lego bricks. I didn't know about ZomeTools before Cassidy, thank you for introducing them to me. What a wonderful creation!


by Bridger, age 7, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA.

"This is the shark catcher. It is a huge machine that catches evil sharks. First, the small red machine that you see in the lower part of the photo sucks up the sharks in the back white part, then spits them out the other brown part into the turbo vacuum, which is the water bottle. There are two gates to allow workers to get in."

Evil sharks! I'm glad you made a machine that captures them. What a cool vacuum system you built, and the water bottle is the greatest containing unit, you'd be able to see the sharks swimming around. I spy ZomeTools, a grey pencil and a jam jar lid! Great mixed media creation Bridger!


by Angus, age 6, Saskatchewan, Canada.

"These are my Playmobil people standing on a bridge guarding the treasures in the ocean. This is a real sand dollar from the beach in B.C."

How wonderful, all those great treasures in the blue ocean below. I love the patterning on your bridge supports, very much in your creative style. Smart of you to put a center third support to your bridge for stability. What a cool B.C sand dollar! Great creation Angus!


"Cat in the Hat Horse Stable" by Lyn, age 8, Saskatchewan, Canada.

"I used markers to hold up the roof. The wheat is from harvest last fall. I also used pine cones, shells, beads and a pipe cleaner."

This is a wonderful two story structure. So neat that you used markers as pillars. It perfectly holds all your lovely horses. I love that the roof is the book The Cat in the Hat, it also seems to serve as a sort of sign to the stables. Wonderful little embellishments on the rooftop. This is so neat Lyn!